Thursday, January 7, 2010

Yet Another Sewing Snafu

I am beginning to wonder if I should start a second blog and dub it, "Mend. And Make Wrong." It would seem that every attempt I make at garment construction has been stifled by some sort of tragedy or force of nature. You may recall the Bee Sting and Dress of Doom, the Crotch of No Return, and Waistband Blunder, as small tidbits of my sewing repertoire that had some form of disaster involved.
My latest and greatest, involved a hiccup that was no fault of mine, but instead my machine. Its no secret my main portable machine is the $80 target special from 5 years ago. It has never performed well, and yesterday it tried to eat the sleeve on the 1940s blouse I was sewing.


(click to enlarge.)
Blouse Pattern: Simplicity 2343
After prying my sleeve out of my machines grip of death, I took a break. Returned and cleaned out the bobbin case. I began attempting to use the button-hole attachment on scraps (thank god!) only to find this machine shredding the fabric and balling up into giant knots. After crying, hitting the table, and spewing obscenities, I called it off for the night.

The next evening my grandmother popped in with a *new* sewing machine! One that would surely do button holes! Merry Christmas from Grammy! Hooray. I take the machine out of the box, set it all up, thread the needle, and pull out some scraps.
What happened next nearly caused me a mental breakdown.
It too jammed up and would not do a button hole. Whats worse, it wont even sew a straight line either. Instead of looping and pulling up the bobbin thread, it just ties itself in a knot. a giant knot.
I have tried and tried to fix it. But for now, this blouse is going on the hanger, with no buttons.

Maybe I will work on some knitting instead...


18 comments:

In The Heyday said...

I love your nicknames for your sewing mis-adventures!

Lipstick Chick said...

Your a classy gal to poke fun at this misfortune. I have no doubt you'll get it right! Good luck!

http://thelipsticklist.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I wish I had your patience with sewing project. I have now given up for a while and like you said I have taken up knitting

Unknown said...

sewing machines are evil.Mine always seems to blow a light globe , at night.And dont get me started on overlockers!If mine unthreads i can spend an hour trying to thread it again!!

Laura said...

Don't fret, dearie. I think your machine just needs to be serviced (we all do from time to time ~wink~) Take it to a good sewing machine repair place and they'll clean it, oil it and test to make sure it can perform all of the functions correctly. Trust me on this - sewing machines need to go to the shop at least once a year to keep you from losing your mind.

Little Miss B said...

Don't worry, you'll sort it out. me and my old sewing machine frequently have fall outs where I take it apart and leave it in the corner sulking for a week. But we always make up in the end even if I have to take her to visit the nice men at the service center!

The Fickle Nickle said...

I have yet to ever try using a sewing machine...you are BRAVE, Very Brave!! I'm sure you will get it all figured out...best of luck!!

PS- You have a fabulous blog that I love to read!!

-Nicole
ThefickleNickle.com

Twila Jean said...

Thank you everyone for your encouragement! It means a lot.

FickleNickle thanks for the kinds words about my blog! xoxox

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

aww, don't feel bad, darlin'! I've been sewing for about 12 years and -still- want to throw my machine into on-coming traffic sometimes! Like the others said, take that bad boy in for servicing and it will think twice before making you cry again! :) Take breaks when you want to break something and keep on trying! Good Luck! http://vavoomvintage.blogspot.com/

Kat said...

My machine has been doing the same knotting thing lately. My mum reckons it needs a service. Don't let it dishearten you. Keep on sewing and one day you won't be making any mistakes at all!

Casey said...

Aw... I'm so sorry! I've had infuriating things like this happen before too--and usually on a project that I'm dying to finish! :p I'll chime in with the advice to get it serviced; sounds like a problem with the tension or bobbin/thread looping to me...

♥ Casey
blog | elegantmusings.com

Helga said...

I once beat my sewing machine with a pair of scissors whilst spewing obscenities potentially similar to yours......you are not alone!!!

Anonymous said...

Before you take your machine to be serviced try changing the needle. My machine does crazy things when I need a new sharp needle.

Hope this works. Also make sure you are using the right needle for the kind of fabric you are sewing.

Anonymous said...

I want not concur on it. I over precise post. Expressly the title-deed attracted me to study the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. . I thought I was the only crazy who curses out inanimate objects when they don't work as they should!

I have the same Target special and while it regularly makes me curse. . it has helped me finish quite a few projects. Here's to better sewing days ahead!

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Unknown said...

I know, it looked like it was turning out wonderful too ;-( Were you able to save it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...