Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ruby Reds

I went out on a halloween-vintage-salvage hunt with Solanah last week. If you are unfamiliar with this practice, I will fill you in. It basically means you drive to every thrift store in a 30 mile radius during the months of September and October to save vintage that has been put on the "halloween racks" as costumes. Nothing gives me more fear than a teenage girl ripping up a 50s frock and covering it with fake blood to be a zombie mad men character. Save the vintage people!

Well, I didnt save much vintage this week, but I did land myself some amazing sparkle red ballet flats, and a matching red crinoline. I am a major, supreme, insane fan of the crinoline petticoat. I don't think a vintage wardrobe is complete without one. Plus, they look cute if you are daring enough to let a little show out the bottom of your skirt!





I find it funny sometimes, out of all the things I wear that I want to be authentic vintage or authentic reproduction, right down to my underwear... shoes are never one of them.

13 comments:

art deco dame said...

you're never too old for glitter shoes.I firmly believe that.

Anonymous said...

I used to have a pair of glittery red ballet pumps just like that, oh how I miss them. Awesome crinoline skirt as well.

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

It's funny that you mention this because I was at a salvation army yesterday about to check out and I saw a green 60's dress on the costume rack! I think I will have to start doing vintage salvage hunts too!!

DearHelenHartman said...

The crinoline is too cute. Cheering you on in the Halloween salvage mission.

mallorygallery.com said...

I thought I was the only one who saved vintage from the Halloween racks! I saved these two gems a few weeks ago....
http://mallorygallery.com/2011/09/thriftin-thursday-3/

Someone's gotta do it!

Casey Maura said...

Some of my best vintage finds have been leading up to Halloween. ;) lol.

I'm the same way with shoes. Although I have some reproduction pairs, it's because I like them, rather than feel the need to be 100% authentic (but then again, I do tend to mix and match anyway ;). Because ultimately, there will always be a pair of shoes that is wildly modern but I'm hopelessly in love with!

Emma Litton said...

Lovee this red crinoline! I understand, shoes are something I've never been picky about if they're vintage or not, they just have to have that right feel.

xo,
Em

Brooksie said...

From Goodwill yesterday I salvaged some 1950's hot pink high waist capri pants that fit me perfectly from a Halloween nightmare.

Nelly said...

Go forth and save those vintage things from silly young girls who one day will fall in love with vintage and regret there past destruction! Hope you find lots.
I LOVE that crinolene lucky you.

Unknown said...

You look amazing!!! beautiful photos and styling! New follower via GFC and liked you on FB too! Pls come see my blog and return the favor? I came over from the FB group VCA

xoxo

http://bresbaubles.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

adorable dress and really sweet shoes with them.

Unknown said...

Love this. I really should get a proper crinoline. Obvs, I will not be cycling in it. I found your blog through Penny Dreadful - glad I did! x

Miss Marie said...

Oh, I love your Halloween vintage salvage concept! It always makes me so mad when you get costume-hunters in your favourite vintage shops, in their sloppy jeans and t-shirts, being really obnoxious and chortling over fabulous frocks which they're too un-stylish to appreciate...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...