Friday, September 9, 2011

Shazam! Pasta Sauce!

I have grandiose ideas sometimes, and furthermore, I have those ideas on 90 degree days. This idea was the notion that I needed to make tomato sauce from scratch and then can it. Why wouldn't I do such a thing on one of the last hot days of the year? While I might say it was sweltering in my kitchen, it was also well worth it. I would do a smaller batch if I were you, as it only takes about a half hour and you can feed yourself some of the yummiest pasta sauce you have ever had, sans gross chemicals found in jar sauce.




5 year old photog caught this lovely image... obviously this is how you cut tomatoes!


The dress I am wearing is one I am borrowing from Solanah, by way of Amy from Team Jessup. Its a SWIRL, and its the cutest bird print I have ever seen!

There is no shortage of basic tomato sauce recipes on the internet, some bloggers even have some too, chuck full of reviews! Check some out and grabs some maters before the season is over. You wont regret it!

Word to the wise, not all things vintage are worth it... I canned and canned and cooked and cooked... 4 hours later I only had 3 jars of sauce. Don't make a huge batch and can it. Make a small batch and EAT IT!

5 comments:

Kori said...

You look lovely honey! Kori xoxo

Sarah said...

Love that dress on you!

But it's nice to make jams and can things sometimes.. makes me feel all grown up an '40 like ;-)

Michelle said...

omg, my mom canned tomatoes the other day and we could not believe how little she got, haha. Oh well they were going to go bad if we didn't do something!

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

those are very large tomatoes! I laughed at the photo of you with the knife. You look so lovely in Solanah's dress!

Miss Emmi said...

I'm too scared to make my own canned sauces, I just know that I'd stuff it up somehow and get botulism. Homemade stuff tastes so much nicer though...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...