Friday, January 22, 2010

Pattern Drafting for Dummies

That title should really read something like, "Dummies who are pattern drafting." Solanah and I spent the afternoon dismantling some 1950s shorts to make them into a pattern. I must say, for all our mishaps in sewing, this went rather well. We even sewed up some muslin to determine fit, which only needed to be slightly altered!

(click to enlarge.)

All in all, the pattern is super simple, and I am very excited to start making some when I get moved to the new house. I want to have a few pairs, so summer will be filled with playful pin-up shorts!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, you are brave to take apart something to make a pattern! I have a 20s flapper dress that is unrepairable (found in a box in my attic!) that I'd like to make a pattern from, but every time I sit down with it to start ripping a seam I get sick to my stomach :(

My hope is that I can recreate the pattern pieces by laying the garment flat and tracing around the major pieces, then guesstimate on the nuances of where the skirt meets the bodice. By creating a mock-up I can see how close I am.

BTW, I posted about the dress here- http://tartdeco.blogspot.com/2010/01/vintage-dream-part-ii.html

Angel said...

Very Cool. Don't forget to keep us updated with how the new house looks as you perfect it!

Witchcrafted Life said...

That sounds like oodles of fun! Creating and resizing one's own patterns in an area that really appeals to me. I'm not a master sewer myself (basics, oui, advanced not so much), but one day I hope to get my own sewing machine and then begin experimenting with such methods.

Can't wait to see the summer shorts you create!


Have a blissful Friday & weekend ahead!
♥ Jessica

Twila Jean said...

Angel- dont worry I will be updating with pictures when we close on the house, it would should have been today, but now its looking like monday.

Regardless, we are moving SO SOON!

art deco dame said...

congrats on moving into the house

Treacle said...

How nifty! And I can I just say that I love that photo of you in your stockings.

Twila Jean said...

thanks treacle! I thought it was too funny not to post

Ligeia said...

loving the photos and your style!
following you

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...