Sunday, November 1, 2009

All Souls Day

As All Saints passes we head into All Souls Day, a day to remember and send well thoughts to our departed. There are many fantastic traditions that surround this day, mine are the more basic American Catholic traditions of heading to mass and praying for the dead.
Many Latin communities have Dia De Los Muertos, a fabulous celebration of life and death tracing back to the Aztecs. Full of color, candles, prayers, sugar skulls, marigolds and altars.
The French do it too! La toussaint and Le Jour Des Morts are celebrated over Nov.1 and Nov.2 as a legal holiday. They decorate with Chrysanthemum's and lay them at graves.

What ever your religious background, or where you come from I think its an amazing time to step back and reflect on our love ones who have passed. Here is hopingmy loved ones and yours, have moved on to a happier place of peace and tranquility!

3 comments:

Cajun Girl Living In The Mountains said...

Funny you should bring this up. I was just speaking yesterday about this. We moved from Louisiana (New Orleans) three years ago. I was just saying that here, no one goes to wash the graves and lay down mums on All Saint's or All Soul's day here. My mom and aunt, of course, told about their trips to the cemetery to fulfill this custom yesterday.
I almost feel the need to "adopt" a grave here and go visit and follow my traditions.

=)

LPM

Brooksie said...

Very nice post - I put a link to this post on my blog that I did this evening.

Anonymous said...

ok, cool... i just added even more different emo backgrounds to my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...