Monday, October 26, 2009

Good Deeds.. Pass them on.

I generally do not watch TV. We send for NetFlix movies, and watch them at our leisure. Tonight, my husband put on some show about the most evil people who ever lived. It got to a part about a massive cult and how it met its demise. I will not go into details, but after watching the interview with a survivor, my heart is in shambles. I am weak and weary. I just want to offset the horrible things that have been done in the world.

So, to you fellow blog readers, I purpose we make an act of good. I know this does not really have anything to do with "vintage" but it does have something very real to do with all of us. When you wake up, one morning this week. Think about one small thing you can do to help someone out. Someone you don't know, your sister, your neighbor, anyone.
I know its small of me to think that tiny good deeds can change the world, and really, who knows if they can. But with all of the awful things that have happened in history, and still happen to this day, don't you think its worth a try?
Here is a list of things we can all do to try and make someone's day a little brighter:

  1. Smile at people in passing, nod, or wish them a good day. Especially if they look unhappy.
  2. Donate a bag of quality healthy groceries to a shelter, or food bank.
  3. Compliment someone for no good reason. There is always something good about someone!
  4. Forgive someone you are angry with.
  5. Leave a really good tip for a waiter/ess.
  6. If you have kids, donate your kid's old books to preschools, or headstart programs
  7. Send random thank-you notes to people who have helped or infulenced your life.
  8. Leave inspiring notes and uplifting phrases on paper and leave them in library books.
  9. Donate your old stuff to thrift stores and charity shops.
  10. Bake cookies and give them to someone you havent seen lately (grandma maybe?)
This list is tiny, there are a million and one other things you could do to help someone. I hope you will consider it.

11 comments:

Casey said...

Such a lovely reminder to always seek how we can help others! :)

Angel said...

I donated clothes today! Well after attempting to get money for them and it didn't work... but I donated lol.

The Glamorous Housewife said...

I have been working on being a kinder driver. I live in LA and driving is a good portion of my day. I have been letting ANYONE cut in front of me, even if they are kind of rude, and being patient behind the old ladies who are going 15 miles BELOW the speed limit. I find it keeps me calmer while driving and I enjoy my time in the car much more.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

art deco dame said...

Agreed.I try to help when I can and have had wonderful people help me when I needed it.Sometimes you can't pay it back but you can ALWAYS pay it forward!

Cajun Girl Living In The Mountains said...

Something simple :

Put change in someone's parking meter.

Put a note on a public bathroom mirror that says "You are beautiful."
It will make anyone who reads it smile.

=)

lpm

Darla: Retro Ways said...

I love this post, so heart warming.

No matter how I feel I try to smile at everyone, it feels good getting a smile back or knowing you made someone else smile for no reason.

Never would have thought to leave a note in a library book thats such a cute idea, going to have to try that.

♥Darla

Twila Jean said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments friends!!!

Anonymous said...

oops. I think you meant good deeds, not good deads.
dead = when someone dies
deed = doing something

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

Lovely post! So many wonderful yet simple ideas that we should all use!

Evelyn said...

Count me in. I always say it's the little things that can make someone's day. The other day, I had a photo shoot and happened to have 6 red balloons. On the way back to the studio, I saw a little girl sitting at the bus stop with her parents. She didn't look particularly happy, so I handed her the balloons. The look on their faces was enough to make me float away.

Anonymous said...

When I drive into town, I look at other drivers...I rarely see any of them smiling, let alone seeming to enjoy their day.
So I give a smile, let a car into my lane (even though they knew 2 miles back that they needed to merge or risk running off the road!) and hope I made their day just a tad nicer. Say thank you to a soldier (whether or not you are for or against the 'war') for doing his part...and remember to smile all you can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...