Thursday, June 10, 2010

We Interrupt Vintage..

I have been at a loss of words for days, I had spent the past 40 something days ignoring the news sites, and avoiding conversation. I finally sat down a few nights ago and decided it was time to do a google search...
"BP Oil Spill Current News"
I will honestly say, I have been crying over this off and on since I hit "search." I have never felt so helpless, and so afraid in my whole life. This is massive. Do not be like me, don't ignore it, please. This is serious, and people need to care. There needs to be people who will cry over this devastation and then stand up and help where they can.

Image: Getty Images via Huffington Post

This is not just about oiled up birds, which is dreadful itself. This is about human people losing work, losing buffers against hurricanes, losing tourist regions that generate revenue, and eventually effecting your gas usage. Not to mention, no one even knows when this will end, there is no way to tell for sure, the damage could span decades. This is serious.

I can only hope you will take a minute to consider what you can do. Its hard to not feel completely helpless in a time like this but you can help, even if only a little.

CNN did a great write up on all the ways you can Volunteer which you can find here.
Nature Squad has also compiled a wonderful list of organizations seeking Volunteers here.

You of course, can donate money to the clean up efforts and protecting animals effected.
The National Wildlife Federation is seeking donations here as well as volunteers.
New Orleans Foundation is also requesting donations to aid in clean up efforts here.
Dawn Dish Soap is also sending in donations for every bottle of soap you buy, as well as taking donations to helping oiled animals, here.

You are also able to give up your luscious locks to help soak up oil on the cost line and marshes. Matter of Trust is collecting hair, nylons, and fleece materials. At this time BP is refusing to use booms made of hair, but MoT is dispersing hair mats and booms to local parishes to soak up oil on their own shores.
I myself am currently looking into an (affordable) portland area hairstylist donating to MoT, so I can share my locks with the gulf coast. If its the only thing I can do, I hope it helps in some small bit.
On that note, anyone with vintage hair magazines with short hairstyles in it, please link me or send them on, I will be needing them!

If you have any other ideas of ways to aide the gulf coast, please share them here, or on facebook, or on twitter. Please help raise awareness, as this effects all of us.

16 comments:

BaronessVonVintage said...

I agree it's a horrifying and terrifying disaster...I agree that it is too easy to be paralyzed by fear or look the other way and not DO anything. It may not look like it's going to affect us all right now, but I definitely concur that we have not even begun to see the effects or implications of this globally yet.

Thank you for these links to help us find avenues to put thought into action.

I had not heard about the hair donation idea! If I wasn't already bobbed, I'd be doing what you're planning to! Amazing!

Coedith said...

Okay I am going to loop this back around to vintage. Because it is so WWII! In a few ways. Women cut their hair (Veronica Lake) for safety in the ship yards. It's a cause and I know women now just like they did then can get behind this effort and make a difference. Just because we can't fix it completely doesn't mean we shouldn't do every little thing we can. Good job Twila Jean!

Twila Jean said...

Thanks you two!

And yes Coedith, it had not even occurred to me the vintage connection in all of this. I am just hoping that all of us women with hair to give can find in our hearts to do it.
I am SO nervous about cutting off my hair, I have been growing itout for years..

Anonymous said...

Also, they are accepting and using pet fur, so for those like me, with a house full of fur, here's a use for it all!

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Thank you so much for this heartfelt post. My sister-in-law is a stylist and her salon is sending hair to this organization.

My husband and I are heading to Florida tomorrow, part of our trip will be spent on the little Gulf Coast island where we got married last year. Although the oil is still far away from the island, we put this trip together quite quickly, in case this may be the last of Cedar Key as we know it. Like many other coastal villages, the economy is completely based on fishing and tourism, and the area is very rich ecologically. Should the oil make its way to the island's coast, it would destroy this charming town that has survived two Seminole wars, the Civil war, and two major hurricanes.

Anonymous said...

TWILA!

I know precisely why you avoided this news story. And believe me, I completely understand the reasoning. The economy and the ecosystem of the Old South is crumbling while the rest of us feel powerless to do anything to help. That's the best definition of agony I've been able to muster--

But even us frugalistas can do a small part to help - just as you mentioned - hair cuts! Hair absorbs oil! It shouldn't be too hard to find an inexpensive salon to cut your tresses that will donate the tresses to the cause. And, since you've got luscious locks, even a shorter hair style will suit your "exquisite bone structure" fashionably vintage. And besides, in light of the mega-problem, is a short hairstyle really that much of a headache, considering, I mean?

Second, dish soap! The next time you go grocery shopping, pick some up. I know Dawn and Palmolive are relatively cheap and they are noted for cutting through greasy grime.

Thank you for your real-ness. Thank you for being yourself. For putting yourself out there. Thank you for your bravery. Thank you for just everything you do.

You're a good egg, girl.

Darlene

I'd love it if you have time, to swing by my humble and maybe not so interesting blogger, if the mood suits you:

http://vintagenotionsandwhatnot.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Go here http://bobbypinblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/thats-quite-bumpit.html
let her know what you are doing and see what she recommends. This is her, 'thing'. Good luck!

Unknown said...

I think its nice of you to cute your hair for this Twila. Its nice any donations to help this cause, but following in all the foots steps, I have been avoiding it as much as possible, I hate seeing animals hurting. I hate when I cant help wither. Ill be getting my hair cut this weekend, so maybe there is a place you can send it in to if there is not locally. I have friends who live ten miles from the coast where this happened, everyday now she wakes up and first thing she smells is all this oil, her son is 4 and she cant even take him to the beach now. but I did buy dawn dish soap to help with the animal cause.

thanks for caring Twila!

Malayka said...

It is absolutely awful, once again we humans are making a right mess of our planet. It seemed to me that everybody was so busy arguing over who should be paying for cleaning it up and fixing the problem that nobody was doing anything! The whole thing is very frightening. Good on you for helping to do something and encouraging others to as well.

Julie said...

i've been avoiding it, too, because i cannot bear to read about it.

the day after my wedding, i'm cutting my hair. i'm glad it can be put to use! and pet hair, ohhh, do we have pet hair...

Unknown said...

Twila, I can email you a pdf of a book I think will give you exactly what you need. I will send tonight or tomorrow.

I just posted on facebook this morning about this very thing!

Jessica said...

I think it is wonderful that you want to help, and I did the same thing you did and found the charity that collects hair. I then spread the word, and posted it on my blog & facebook page. I then received so much information about how that might not be the best way to help because it is currently not being used and its uses have not been proven. Also, the organization is not certified as a non-profit agency.
The hair is not being used. Here is a link:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/24/gulf-oil-spill-cleanup-no_n_587801.html
I removed my blog post and announcement until I could better research this. There are other ways to help.

Brooksie said...

Hopefully the hair is working. I have heard things either way now. I have been wanting to get my hair cut for a while, so when you find a reasonable priced hairstylist in Portland that is collecting hair please let me know because I will go and do it asap!

Twila Jean said...

@Jessica - Theya re being used in alabama. And I have heard people are using them in florida as well. Smaller islands are taking the hair booms too.

Here is the group organizing it, and a picture of the booms in action http://www.facebook.com/exquisitebones#!/photo.php?pid=12615615&id=463115455390

Unknown said...

We are donating hair at Dawn Baby Salon in Eugene, if you don't find a Portland area salon. It is a short drive, and full of really nice vintage shops too...
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Eugene-OR/Dawn-Baby-Salon/345485136605?ref=ts&ajaxpipe=1&__a=7
Dawn is really great at vintage cuts, too...

Casey Maura said...

Thanks so much for posting about this! I live in the region affected by the oil spill, and it indeed is quite horrific from both the environmental and economic standpoint. Already I've read about local businesses having to close up because they simply cannot continue (especially the already fragile fishing industry here). I know I for one am saddened that eventually the beautiful beaches we have here might be affected by the oil spill. It's quite sad!

♥ Casey
blog | elegantmusings.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...