Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Coastal Weekend

It's very pleasant to live where I live, I am within an hour or so of the beach, mountains, or the desert. This past weekend I packed up the whole family and headed to the beach for the weekend where our family owns a cabin. Long Beach, WA is a quaint little beach town, full of tourist traps, and "gift shops." But besides its touristy main street, its a fabulous place with fun all over the peninsula.

The only problem with ocean air, is you can't curl your hair. The mosture makes my pin-curls fall flat in seconds. Thankfully I remembered to pack the new snood that darling Solanah got me, so I had a way to keep with the vintage look. I just wore my bangs in big messy pin-curl/rolls on the front all weekend.
After hitting local fish markets to get some delicious salmon and oysters for dinner, we headed down to the beach with the kids. It was quite cold and we all had layers of clothes on, but th kids rather enjoyed it. We played in the dunes, and watched the waves crash in.

We did hit the tourist strip for a minute to let the kids ride the old carousel, and see Jake the Alligator Man. I have never seen them smile so big, they loved riding the carousel, I guess its the simple things in life? Margaux was super mad when we had to get off and head back to the beach house.
The next day when everyone had made it up to the cabins we packed everyone up to head out to Oysterville, WA to get... oysters. Oysterville is the town I was married in, it's a beautiful picturesque town built in the 1880s, and is a national historical monument. By the time we got there it, of course, was raining again, but the fella shot these quick snaps of me being silly.
The next day we packed everything up in preperation for our journey home. On the way out of town, as always, we hit Hobo Junction. We stop here every single time we are in Long Beach, and the owner knows our entire family. Hobo Junction, is an amazing junk store of epic proportions. It's a weird run-down house filled to the brim with random treasures every where you look. The owner is awesome, and prices are generally negotiable. I scored a lovely fur BOW hat, that I am gonna share later on! It's super cute.
All in all, it was a lovely holiday weekend, spent with family and friends. And I hear from my sister-in-law that after I left they stumbled on a store in Illwaco full of 40s frocks that she is bringing home for me! I can't wait to see what she got, and share it with you all.

11 comments:

Solanah said...

Looks like so much fun! And your hair looked fabulous!

Bombshell Bettie said...

what a fun weekend! Your kids are possibly the cutest I've ever seen. I also enjoyed your wedding pics. hehehee. Can't wait to see your new finds.

April said...

I'm a habitual "lurker" here and I just wanted to say I think you are fabulous! I wish I had the guts to "go vintage"!

Your kids are adorable too!

ina said...

You're right it's almost impossible to get curls stay in sea air (even some smaller sea than an ocean will be tricky), but your hair is still looking great!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh those pics of Margaux are so beautiful!

Andi said...

Your hair looks like it held up well in the weather! I mine always loses to the rain when I'm in WA.

Blythe Hopes Vintage said...

My daughter LOVES the carousel - I can never get her off once she's on.

That junk store looks amazing - I'm so glad everyone had a great trip!

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

ooo almost looks like the pompadour I did last week Friday (and do from time to time).

looks like you had a great time. hooray!

Anonymous said...

superbes photos ! ta tenue est incroyable !

Anonymous said...

Dear Twila,

Who cares that much about hair in a situation like the beach. The snood was a nice touch, and honestly, your hair looked good despite the weather! :)

Your wee ones are adorable, and that vintage house sounds like a mecca...time to make a pilgrimage...

Best regards from Chicago,
Darlene

Anonymous said...

I love your hair!! You're an inspiration. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...