Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Mystical Land of the Bins

What are the Bins? Not really all that mystical, quite dirty, and a small step above dumpster diving. So what makes the Goodwill Outlet Stores (its formal name) so alluring to us vintage lovers? The fact that among piles of underpants, broken glass, 6 metric tons of Christmas decor, stained bedsheets, and volumes of books, their lies hidden treasures. And you purchase said items, by the pound!
I will admit, its getting harder and harder to find treasures of vintage caliber, as there are many vintage hunters, known as "pickers' who spend hours on end at the bins. Regardless, Solanah and I ventured out to the biggest outlet in our area yesterday. We were marginally successful, only spending $30, and leaving with shoes, purses, 50s nightgowns, a 40s wedding dress, a 60s dress suit set, many skirts and fabric for making more vintage-inspired clothes!

We did encounter some undesirable items, like a few pairs of underwear and an unnerving doll attached to a liquor bottle that "followed" us around the store all day. It was all quite sinister for sure!

(Click to enlarge!! It's exciting, I swear!)

The Bins are scattered all over the US, I am not sure if they have such a thing overseas, but if they do, you should go. But, don't forget your gloves! It gets dirty...

13 comments:

Sweetpaintedlady said...

I have the desire to come to the states purely to go opshopping! Here in New Zealand we have Op shops and the titled " vintage shops" which give them the excuse to over inflate their prices purely because it is "vintage". I do find Trade me ( our version of ebay), garage sales etc to be more successful.

Solanah said...

I'll bet we'll see that doll the next time we go, or at a thrift store or something.

...just staring...

Malayka said...

Like Rosina Lee says, we have slightly different versions of second hand shops here. Sadly New Zealand has a very small population so there just aren't as many treasures around! Makes it all the more thrilling when you do find something special though. I particularly try to find items that were made in New Zealand. Anyway, envious of your thrift stores all the same!

art deco dame said...

yeah for finds and OMG that doll is horrific!

Emily Kennedy said...

Good point about the gloves!

Naomi said...

That doll is scary!!! ROFLOL!!

InkyW said...

Back in the early 80's I used to buy all my punk rock clothes at the goodwill bins in Westminster, CA. Loved that place and I still have some fantastic religious artifacts in my house that I purchased there over 25 years ago! now i wish i had those fab striped pants I'd found once - wore them to death though!

Casey said...

Thank you for this post!!! :) I've discovered there is an outlet store about an hour away from me, and I've been curious about visiting it sometime. I think, the only thing putting me off is that I need a pair of gloves! ;) lol. Oh, and a adventuresome buddy to go with me would be great too... ;)

That doll is the most disturbing thing I've seen at a thrift store in awhile... And I've been thrifting since I was a kid and have seen some pretty weird stuff!

Anonymous said...

The one nearest you is my favorite; Portland is crawling with hipsters and dealers and I've actually had my foot run over by one of them running like a maniac to a new bin. I've also witnessed a beautiful vintage dress literally torn in half by two dealers at the PDX one! Craziness. My most "ewww! factor find was in a bin that looked like someone emptied their dirty garage into it... I grabbed this awesome old amber glass moonshine jug to discover the remnants of what appeared to be a gigantic dead rat in the bottom of it. I screamed like a girl, I'll admit it.

Lisa said...

I've been to the one in downtown Seattle once, resold everything and made about six times what I paid, if not more. I was about to make another trip down there and found out they are opening one about five minutes from my house in December. I'm SO excited, I'm going to be one of those annoying people that is ALWAYS there haha.

Lolita Haze said...

Know what I hate about you? You are one of these girls that can make a stupid or ugly face and still be cute as hell and pretty. I contort my face even the slightest and it's all fugly! Sad but true. It's a good thing I like you. :-D Otherwise I'd get internet nasty on you. Hahahah just teasing.

Andi B. Goode said...

I have to say that kind of shopping here in Australia (at least in Adelaide) seems to be as Rosina described it in NZ. I don't remember the last time I found anything older than the mid-late 1960s at an Op shop (thrift store).
-Andi x

Darla: Retro Ways said...

Sounds like amazing finds. That doll is quite ugly I wonder why and who it was made for.

For the longest time I woud shop at this goodwill and it wasnt untill Solanah mentioned the bins she visited that i looked up the goodwill bins in long beach cali my old city and turns out the goodwill i would visit was next to the bins which just looked like a wearhouse no one was allowed in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...