Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rose Queens of Yester Year

My husband has the same addiction I do.
STUFF.
And not really just stuff, but junk. If we hit an estate sale together, you better believe 100$ is gone and we have a trunk full of weird stuff we probably don't need. He recently purchased a 50s bee catchers mask, and 1970s encyclopedias...(what was he thinking?) But at this same sale her came across this little pictoral magazine:
Rose Festival Pictoral: 1946
This is especially exciting to me, because the Rose Festival is a Portland Oregon event (where I currently hail from my dears!) that has been going on for nearly 100 years. They have a "Grand Floral Parade" and the Rose Court of decadent Queens and Princesses. So I thought I would share a few pages and tid-bits from this issue.

(click to enlarge.)

10 comments:

Solanah said...

I love this little book, it would be awesome to know if these women are still around now, and hear their stories!

Darla: Retro Ways said...

Lovely photos, I adore the one with all the girls sitting together in their swimsuits just adorable.

I would love to see ur hubbys 1950's bee mask it sounds uber cool. ♥

A said...

Cool pics! I love the glamorous Rose Queens and the cute little sailor suits.

And who can beat a Grand Marshall like the fabulous Tommy Gibbons :)

Lauren said...

Oh my, so do we. It's a sickness. But at least it's a mutual sickness, right?
VERY cute little book! Past pictures of the Rose Parade are so fun!

Kate8085 said...

My husband and I suffer from the same addiction. Maybe we can form a group together? haha.
Would love to see a pic of the bee mask, that magazine is a total SCORE!

Angel said...

I agree with Solanah, that those women have great stories, and it would be amazing to hear them.

Maggi said...

What a neat find! And I'm the same way, I'm all about obscure junk I don't need but can't leave behind! lol

debra@dustjacket said...

I love your photo's!

hannah, heart city said...

they are so glamourous! i love the swimsuit pics!

Brooksie said...

Hi there...wow, I know I am commenting on a old post but I could not resist. For one the date of that post June 25th is my B-day, I too love looking at the pics you have posted from the book and in June of 99' when I worked at Salon Nyla the Day Spa (Salon Nyla does the hair for the Rose Festival Princesses every year) I got to style the of one of the princesses for the coronation also the week prior to the coronation that year Salon Nyla the Day Spa had a tea for all of the princesses and I was one of the guest speakers - I spoke about skin care and make-up. Just thought I would share.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...