Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Depression Era Dames

I find myself dramatically drawn to the depression era.

The 30s had such a diverse style to it, with in vogue styles changing several times.

I got into vintage the same way most girls did, the rockabilly trend.
I was never much of a rockabilly kid, and jumped straight into 50s vintage attire. From there I moved to late 40s, which does not suit my body type very well, which led me to the 30s.
Oh the 30s, how lovely the dresses, how detailed the patterns are.

Now anyone else remotely into the 1930s will notice, that it is increasingly hard to find 30s garments. If you do happen upon one, you are looking at a small fortune per piece.

I digress, I am a so-so seamstress, and quite un-nerved by un-printed patterns.
Which is why I aimlessly search the interwebz for 1930s-40s MCcall's Patterns. MCcall's was among the very first to market printed patterns, I think starting in the 1920s.
Sadly, when you come across one, it costs nearly as much as dress from the era.

Regardless, they are lovely patterns and I will keep up my hunt for the perfect dress, and other finery by MCcall's.







This  one is pretty cute, and quite reasonably priced.
It can be found here:
for $18.00




















Another from woodland farms, in a larger size!
Not my size, but if it fits you the price is quite fair also.
Grab it on This Page 
for $18.00 as well.





















Great summer attire, also from Woodland Farms
a bit higher on price, but cute enough to be worth it.
Here it is for $30.00




















I couldn't help but love the puff sleeves and cute skirt on this one.
I love giant bow collars too!
Here it is for $28.00

5 comments:

Darla: Retro Ways said...

The last two are to die for, so adorable.
♥Darla

Tikimama said...

I will learn to sew again, I will, I will!

Casey said...

I really admire the 1930s fashions; although they don't flatter my shape very well (I'm more of a 40s/50s gal! ;). But I do own a couple patterns from that era (though none as fabulous as these!), and enjoy the details and styles prevalent in the 30s.

That last dress pattern I just adore!!!

Solanah said...

I would like them all!

I'm still on the fence about selling that 30s tea dress I got. I should listen to you though and keep it....

esme and the laneway said...

I love those prints, they are beautiful. I have one 1930s dress, which I am taking in at the moment (I am no seamstress though, it is taking me ages!) but as it was so damaged and then repaired I got it v. cheap. I wouldn't be taking my scissors to a pristine '30s dress!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...