Thursday, August 27, 2009

All Hallows' Eve

I know, I know, we are still nearly 2 months from Hallowe'en, but it's my favorite holiday so I get excited quite early. I have been brainstorming and musing my plans of attack for a costume this year. I am attending a "Witches Night Out" spook fest for ladies only where you must come, as the name suggests, dressed in Witches Finery.

There are lots of ways to go about this, as you can quite easily blur the lines between Witches, Vampires, and other ghouls of the great abyss. No one will pay that close of attention any how.

SO, like any vintage mind would, I turned to the likes of Vampira, Morticia, and Lilly.
Classic ghoulish gals from yesteryear.


(click to enlarge.)

The next train of thought I fall captive to, is 16th century dame Queen Elizabeth. I think she could quite easily take a witchy form with her captivating style. Similarly I love the beauty behind 17th century style, and we can see from Sleepy Hollow, it makes for very convincing witchery!
Costumes seem to be readily available in these categories, but require a sizeable coinpurse.

I am contemplating sewing from scratch once I decided which muse to go with. Its so tempting to do them all. I hope this gets you in the mood for All Hallows, and if you need some more inspiration for costumes and such, check out these links:

AnnaLadyMoon: ETSY shop, corsets and spooky themed handmade apparel.
Spooky Kitten Couture: ETSY shop, with AMAZING victorian style costumes, for a pretty darn good price!!!!!
Haloween Express: *some* cool historical costumes, similar to etsy pricing, but probably made of lesser quality materials, and manufactured in China. Still, some cool stuff.
Baby Girl Bouttique: Some, sort of period inspired costumes, in the leg avenue vein of "sexy halloween" (which I dont quite understand myself, plus its COLD on Halloween haha.) But, some very nice pieces are scattered through out.
Costume and Prop Shop: Seems to have quite a few different styles and eras to choose from. I think it may before theatre, but bears similar prices to an average halloween costume.

I hope your spooky wheels are turning now!

6 comments:

Kate8085 said...

Lily and Vampiria would be such awesome costumes!!
I am super loving this post!

Cajun Girl Living In The Mountains said...

My favorite holiday as well. We were wanting to begin decorating last weekend...

I think any of those ideas would be grand.

lpm

Anonymous said...

I love Halloween, it's just a shame we don't celebrate it as much over here in England. Those costume ideas look fab.

Casey said...

I'm loving your inspiration and ideas! ;) I love Halloween, and have been daydreaming about some costumes, but alas, have no where to go dressed up this year. ;) lol Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

Witchcrafted Life said...

You're a gal after my own heart, sweetie! I am beyond wild about Halloween and am counting down the minutes until midnight tonight so that I can begin putting out the first round of my Halloween and autumn decorations (I have a "rule" that I begin decorating for the fall holidays each year on September 1st). Adore all your ideas for Halloween costumes...no idea yet what I'll be sporting this year, must start planning, too! :)

Wishing you a fantastic Monday - and joyful countdown to All Hallows Eve!

♥ Jessica

Nicole said...

You're waaay behind schedule! I start planning my costume November 1st!

This year its Medusa- easy on the sewing, an absolute pain for the hair... I'm trying to mold the entire thing to look like the snakes are growing out of my skin. Haven't found a good light weight flexible rubber/clay type thing yet though!

I did Elizabeth I one year. Sewn by hand, including a steel boned pair of stays (in a 17th C style as it was easier to make) Great costume, but I highly recommend not corsetting down any more than 3 inches if you don't do regular tight lacing, and making a hoopskirt or pocket hoops rather than beefing up the volume with stiffened petticoats alone. My overskirts weighed 10lbs so I had to rely on bulk and weight to give the shape. Lets just say that I had some bad bruises where the stays tabs rested.
In all, it took about 15 m of fabric, for the overdress, $80 worth of corset steel, and 1 month solid sewing (You could manage with a week) to complete. If you do something Sleepy Hollow-esque, add on some time for the trims and aligning stripes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...